Monday, January 31, 2011

Bomb Shelter Field Trip

One thing I forgot I saw this past week was a bomb shelter used during the Spanish Civil War in the late 1930's.  My Spanish Civilization and Culture class went to see it as a field trip. It's crazy to me that it happened in recent history, as in my grandparents were alive during that time. Albeit, they were very young, but still, very recent. Also, I learned that Franco's fascist regime (his side won the Spanish Civil War) lasted until the 70's, when my parents were young/teens. When we learned about communism, facism, dictatorships, and such in school, it always seemed like ancient history, nothing I have ever experienced. The mentality here is different; they remeber war, the bombs falling for 3 days straight on their homes. During the Spanish Civil War, which lasted about 3 years, Barcelona was the most bombed city. Touring the bomb shelter was a little eerie, but interesting at the same time. Even though Spain has been around for a long long time, it really has only been a free state for less than 40 years. My dreams were a little intense that night, but I'm glad I am learning about the history of Spain and how it affects people today.

No comments:

Post a Comment