Monday, February 28, 2011

Paris!

Hi everyone! I just got back from Paris, and it was absolutely amazing! Such a pretty city. I saw pretty much everything I wanted to see, with the exception of Versailles. It would have been cool to see it, but I didn't have enough time. But everything else more than made up for that! The first monument I saw Friday morning was Norte Dame. So beautiful! The stained glass inside was beautiful, and there was so much detail on the outside as well. I didn't climb up the bell towers, but I heard the bells! From there we went on a free walking tour, and our guide was hilarious as well as informed, and I got to see all the major monuments and things I would have never even thought to look for in only 3 and half hours. If you ever go to a foreign country, definitely do some type of tour, because they can add so much history and depth to your visit. I saw the Eiffel tower, the Louvre, Arc de Triomphe, Tuillerie gardens, Musee de Orsay, the Petite and Grand Places, the oldest stone bridge in Paris, the Seine river, Notre Dame, Saint Chapelle, Sacre Couere, the royal academy of the French language, Saint Michael's square and fountain, a statue of one of the famous Kings, the old royal palace where King Louie (either the 14th or 16th) grew up before moving to Versailles (now a city/government building), Napoleon's Arc, Las Invalides (the palace where Napoleon is buried), and famously expensive hotel (the winner of the Tour de France gets to stay there for free for a night), and Egyptain obelisk that France said Eygpt "gifted" them (in reality, Napoleon stole it), and some more fountains and statues.

After the tour where I saw pretty much everything, I went back to the ones I wanted to see up close or museums to go into for the rest of the weekend. What was so nice was that I got in free to the major musuems because I am technically a resident of the EU, and I just had to show them my visa. I saw the Mona Lisa in the Louvre. The picture was not as small as I had imagined, but still on the smaller side with tons of people crowded around her! I was glad I was able to see it (my height helped!) I didn't spend too much time there, because I knew it was huge and the impressionist era paintings I wanted to see were over in the Musee de Orsay. I went over there and saw a lot of Monet, Renior, Van Gogh, and more paintings! I don't know much about art, but I know I do like the impressionist type paintings, and Monet and Renoir are my favorite painters (of the few I've seen/know about). I tried to go up the Eiffel tower, but I bought the wrong tickect and had to climb a good amount of stairs before I could get to an elevator. I made it to the first floor, and then decided to go back down and see more things before I had to catch my flight.

Now for the amazing food! My friend and I went out for a typical French meal to a restaurant recommended by her tour guide. There were no tourists there, and the food was so good and at a decent price, at least by Paris's standards. I ordered frog legs and duck breast, and she ordered S-cargo and foie gras (duck liver), a bottle of French wine and dessert. We tried all of the dishes, and it was so good! I never had s-cargo, frog legs or duck before, and I got it all in one meal! Crepes are popular too, so of course I had to have more than one! My favorite crepe was with nutella and banana. Also, I love the french macroons! These are not the chocolate and coconut kind you find in the states. These are like biscuit/cookie/brownie/frosting type of things. I can't really explain what it is, but if you are ever in France, try the macroons!

I could go on forever about Paris, but I think the word to describe it is amazing! Such a good weekend and a must see if you are ever in Europe.

No comments:

Post a Comment